Green Woman in Melbourne – level 2
When we cross the street we must wait for the green man on the crossing sign, but in one Australian city, he no longer wears trousers. The city of Melbourne is now in the news because it changed some of the pedestrian lights from men to women.
A member of the Melbourne city board thinks that to see only a male figure is not right. She hopes that the female figure will make our world more equal.
However, some of Melbourne’s men ask if it is at all necessary. One of them said that for him, it is only a crossing light. He does not think of it is a male or a female figure.
Melbourne’s mayor is a man. He also is unsure that his daughters will feel better because the signs now show women.
The lights will stay in place for at least one year.
Difficult words: pedestrian lights (traffic lights for people to cross the street), male (man), female (woman).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos