Green Woman in Melbourne – level 3
When we cross the street, we are used to waiting for the green man on the crossing sign, but in one Australian city the man no longer wears pants. The city of Melbourne has made headlines around the world. It changed some of its pedestrian lights from men to women. This was an effort to cross the gender gap.
A member of the Melbourne city board said that we are used to seeing only a male figure on the crossing sign. People call Melbourne the world’s most livable city and she thinks that it could be also called one of the world’s most equal cities.
However, some of Melbourne’s men wonder if it is at all necessary. One of them said that for him, it is only a crossing light. He does not think of it is a male or a female figure.
Melbourne’s mayor is a man. He also is unconvinced that his daughters will feel more empowered as young women because the signs now show women.
The lights will stay in place for at least one year.
Difficult words: pants (trousers), make headlines (newspaper write about it), effort (try), gender gap (a difference between males and females), empowered (having more power).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.