Gun Control in Australia – level 2
In Australia, thousands of people turned in their firearms, including 52,000 unregistered guns, as part of gun amnesty. In 1996, Australia created its strict gun laws after a mass shooting.
The Australian Prime Minister said that it was important to maintain the country’s strict gun laws. He mentioned the recent mass shooting in Las Vegas, USA. In Australia, a shooting with such powerful guns would not be possible.
The amnesty period ended the day before that mass shooting in Las Vegas.
Difficult words: unregistered (when a person does not tell the government what he has), gun amnesty (pardoning someone for owning guns), maintain (continue).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos