Guns kill American children – level 3
Since 2017, guns are the leading cause of death for US children, surpassing car crashes. However, experts said that the number of car crash deaths decreased.
Nevertheless, this problem is uniquely American, with US children being 15 times more likely to die from guns than children in 31 other high-income countries. Children were shot while riding their bikes, walking home from school, or even playing video games.
A 2015-2019 study revealed that 9 million children lived in a neighborhood with at least one fatal shooting per year. The same study also found that compared to white children, Black children had a higher risk of exposure to gun violence.
Children suffer gun injuries from accidental shootings, crossfire, suicide, and also partner violence.
Difficult words: fatal (deadly), crossfire (gunshots from multiple people), suicide (when a person takes his own life intentionally).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos