Hailstones kill a small girl – level 3
In Catalonia, Spain, on Tuesday, a 20-month-old girl died from head trauma from a large hailstone with a diameter of about 11 centimeters. The toddler went to a hospital in the Girona capital; however, she died of her injuries hours later.
Fierce storms hit the north of the region with the largest hailstones seen in two decades; they injured people, destroyed roofs, and downed power cables. About 50 people reported injuries of bruises and bone fractures. According to officials, the hailstones fell only for about 10 terrifying minutes.
Hailstorms occur throughout the year; however, they happen most frequently between March and September. An unusually hot summer warmed the nearby Mediterranean Sea, and it made more violent tropical storms.
Difficult words: diameter (the length of a straight line through a round object), fierce (very strong and wild), fracture (a break in something, especially a bone).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos