Hainan towers – level 3
39 buildings in construction have to be demolished. They were built over the past eight years at a huge resort-style development at the Ocean Flower Island project in China.
The project was being built on the largest man made island in the world, eclipsing anything built in the Middle East, including the Palm Islands of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. The Evergrande Group, the property developer, reportedly had illegal building permits for the luxury development. Pressure continues to grow for the most indebted developer in the world, and the company is struggling to repay more than 300 billion dollars in liabilities.
Last November, media reported that authorities in Danzhou City refused Evergrande´s plan to offer contractors and suppliers properties to partially repay the ongoing debts.
The order to remove the buildings was signed on December 30, meaning the company could start destruction work by January 9.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.