Harassment at UN – level 1
The United Nations is an international organisation. It says that it promotes good things like peace and security.
However, there are problems at the organisation. Seventeen per cent of UN workers take a survey. It is about sexual harassment. Seventeen per cent of the workers is 30,000 people. A third of those people (10,000 people) say that they were harassed in the last two years.
Difficult words: promote (do something so that there is more of it), survey (a set of questions to find out what people think), sexual harassment (the act of harassing somebody sexually – doing something sexual that they do not like), were (past of ‘are’).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.