Harbin Ice Festival – level 3
A 300-meter-long ice slide has proven to be the main attraction at an Ice Lantern Show, part of the ongoing Harbin Ice and Snow Festival in Northeast China.
Massive ice blocks, taken from the frozen Songhua River nearby, were lit up by colourful LED lights, turning the ice and snow world into a wonderland.
Besides the amazingly long ice slides and 150 metre-long snow slide way is also another wintry option for visitors, some of whom were seen waiting for hours in the freezing cold nights to have a go.
Harbin is famous for being the coldest provincial capital in Northeast China with temperatures dropping as low as -30°C in winter.
The Harbin Ice and Snow Festival was founded in 1985 and is one of the foremost known ice and snow festivals in the world. The other three celebrated in Japan, Canada and Norway.
Difficult words: lantern (box made of thin paper with a light inside it), wintry (characteristic of winter), founded (to start a festival/organisation/company etc.), foremost (most famous).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.