Harvey Weinstein Scandal – level 3
The Weinstein Company has fired Harvey Weinstein, the co-founder of the company, which has released many films including Django Unchained, The King’s Speech, and The Imitation Game. The company fired him because its board was following numerous allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault against him.
The number of women who are coming forward about him are mostly actresses but also models, directors and designers. Actresses Rose McGowan, Asia Argento and Lucia Evans have accused Weinstein of rape, and many actresses like Gwyneth Paltrow were asked to touch him in hotel suites. Model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez even recorded him on a New York Police wiretap.
Angelina Jolie said that he told people to avoid him after meeting him, and actress Jessica Hynes says that she lost a job after refusing to audition in a bikini. She also added that, ‘What goes around comes around.’ Donald Trump said that he was ‘not at all surprised’ to see Harvey Weinstein caught up in a sex scandal.
Difficult words: co-founder (someone who co-founded – started a company with someone else), board (bosses), allegation (saying that somebody did something illegal), suite (a hotel apartment), wiretap (something which is used to record criminals); what goes around comes around (if you do bad things, bad things will happen to you in the end).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.