Heavy floods hit Europe – level 2
Last week, heavy floods hit Western and Central Europe.
Germany and Belgium were among the worst hit countries. In Germany, more than 150 people died in buildings or cars, and rescuers are still looking for more than a thousand people. Many towns and villages were without electricity or internet, which made it very difficult for families and friends to communicate with each other.
24 people died in Belgium, and floods also hit villages in Switzerland and Austria. Luckily, officials did not report any dead people there.
These floods are the worst natural disaster in Europe in more than 50 years. Officials visited the most affected regions, and they tried to support the local people.
Difficult words: natural disaster (an event such as a flood or hurricane which causes a lot of damage), affected (when something changes because something else has a bad impact on it), support (to help).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.