Hedgehog Café in Tokyo – level 3
Animal cafés are quite common in Tokyo. The cafés have cats, rabbits, owls, hawks, snakes and now hedgehogs. The new Tokyo café is called Harry – a play on the Japanese word ‘hari’, meaning ‘needle’.
There are 30 hedgehogs to play with if you come, and each is a different breed. Nine dollars on a weekday and 12 on a weekend buys you an hour with the prickly mammals.
A visitor and mother explained that it is very rare to see a hedgehog and the only way her children can see one is to come to a place such as this. A girl petting a hedgehog said that the hedgehogs were all friendly even though some might spike you.
Difficult words: hawk (a type of bird which hunts other animals), breed (a kind), prickly (covered in prickles – short pointed outgrowths), mammal (an animal whose babies eat their mother’s milk), pet verb (touch in a nice way), spike (hurt you with their spikes – the sharp things on hedgehogs’ back).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this café?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos