Heimlich manoeuvre – level 2
Henry Heimlich invented the Heimlich manoeuvre, which is a first-aid procedure. You press on a person’s abdomen to remove something from that person’s windpipe when he or she is choking.
Doctor Heimlich is 96 years old now. He knows that his manoeuvre works, but he never used it – until now. He saved the life of a woman at the senior centre in Ohio where they both live.
The doctor said that saving the woman’s life was a wonderful feeling.
Difficult words: manoeuvre (the act of moving something), first-aid procedure (something you do to help somebody), windpipe (the tube for breathing from the throat to the lungs).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos