Helicopter without pilots – level 3
A Black Hawk helicopter flew for the first time without pilots in Kentucky, US.
The aircraft flew for 30 minutes with no passengers on Saturday and again on Monday. It flew through a simulated city space, avoided imagined buildings, and then, performed a perfect landing. The testing was a part of the so-called ALIAS program that promotes high-level automation. Engineers install autonomous technology into military aircraft, and it makes them fly with no pilot.
According to the program manager, the technology reduces pilots’ workload, and they can focus on mission management instead of the mechanics. Pilots will operate aircraft at all times and in many conditions to achieve their missions.
Difficult words: simulate (to make a computer model of something), automation (the use of machines or computers instead of people to do a job), autonomous (not controlled by others).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos