Herd Immunity – level 1
Many infectious diseases exist. It is not easy to control infectious diseases, such as the coronavirus.
It is important to reach herd immunity. Herd immunity is the situation when most people are immune to a disease. However, it is not easy to reach the herd immunity.
One way is to make a vaccine. However, it takes a long time to make a vaccine. It takes a long time to give it to all people.
Another way is mass infection. Mass infection means that many people in a population get the disease. It can make problems for hospitals. Many people can get sick at the same time.
The situation with the coronavirus is not easy. Scientists must make a vaccine. At the same time, people must follow strict rules. The rules help stop how many people get sick.
Without the herd immunity, the coronavirus continues to exist.
Difficult words: infectious (how easily someone catches a disease from someone else), immune (when the body is strong enough and does not catch a disease), vaccine (a drug that makes the body stronger so the person does not catch a disease), population (the people that live in a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.