Hidden Van Gogh painting – level 1
At a Scottish museum, art experts do an examination on a Van Gogh painting. Van Gogh is a famous impressionist painter from the 1800s. They use an x-ray for the examination. They want to see information on the painting.
The x-ray shows them that another painting is on the back. The experts do not expect this situation. Someone puts heavy paper on the back of the first painting. They do not know that the second painting is there.
The painting is a self-portrait. The experts think that Van Gogh paints if after he moves to France. He learns about impressionist art there.
The experts hope to keep both paintings. They want to show both to people.
Difficult words: impressionist (art that is on how things move, how people feel, light, and color), x-ray (a machine that shows inside something), self-portrait (an artist’s artwork that shows himself).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.