Holi Festival – level 2
People in India celebrated the ancient Holi festival this week. Holi is a popular festival when people celebrate spring, love, and friendship.
Holi lasts one night and day and it takes place in March. The date changes every year because it takes place on the full moon. Millions of people throw colored powder at each other and they celebrate in the streets. In the evening, they dress up and visit relatives and friends, and they give each other sweets.
This year’s festival was different. The government asked people to stay at home because the number of COVID-19 cases started to grow again. In the past week, there were more than 60,000 new cases every day. Almost 162,000 people died from COVID-19 since spring last year.
Difficult words: ancient (something very old or something that existed long time ago), friendship (when two people are friends), dress up (to dress in smart or formal clothes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos