Homeless people in Brazil – level 1
People in Brazil have problems with money. Last year is very hard for them. Many people lose their jobs because of the coronavirus. They cannot pay rent. They have nowhere to live.
Reports say that around 66,000 people are homeless. Homeless means that they have no home. The number is three times higher than in 2019. These people live in tents or shelters.
Families beg for money on busy streets. They ask other people for help. Churches and charities help them. They give them food.
The government helps, too. Sadly, the help ends this month. Experts worry that the situation will get worse. It seems that prices of things will go higher. More people will have problems to pay rent and buy food.
Difficult words: rent (the money which a person must pay when he uses a room or house), shelter (a place where somebody can stay when he is in a difficult situation), charity (an organization which helps people who are sick or who have no money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.