Homelessness in France – level 3
According to the country’s government, homelessness in France increased from approximately 93,000 in 2001 to more than 141,000 in 2012.
A French charity also says that at least one person dies every day there as a result of living on the street.
Recently, people criticised the French government for not doing enough to act on the homelessness crisis. The United Nations’ special rapporteur said that there is not enough affordable housing, including social housing for the people who need it.
She also said, ‘evictions into homelessness are strictly prohibited under international law’. She said that France could improve its housing laws, find houses for the poor and stop all forced evictions.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
We write news in three different levels of English. We want to help you understand English more. Now all students can enjoy reading and listening.
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.