Hong Kong Cancels Special Event – level 1
In 1989, students protest at a square in Beijing, China. The protests last three weeks. The Chinese government stops the protests. Soldiers and tanks arrive at the square. They kill thousands of people.
Every year, people in Hong Kong remember this horrible event. People come to the square. They light candles. They pray for the dead people.
However, the Hong Kong police cancels the event this year. The police say that it is not safe because of the coronavirus.
Some people believe that there is another reason. Last week, the Chinese government makes a new law.
This law makes it harder to get rid of the Chinese government in Hong Kong. Many people do not agree with the law. Protests start in Beijing. Some people think that the police is afraid of protests at the square.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.