Hong Kong Man Complains – level 1
Simon Cheng is a former worker of the British Consulate in China. In August, Chinese police keep him for 15 days. The police say that Cheng wants sex for money. This is a crime in China.
Cheng says that he does not do any crime. He says that the police torture him. They want information about the role of the UK in Hong Kong’s protests.
China says that this is not true. A Chinese TV stations shows a video in which Cheng says that he is guilty. He says that he is sorry about it.
Cheng complains about this. He says that Chinese police torture him to say something that is not true. He says that they break the law. Officials do not know where Cheng is now.
Difficult words: torture (to hurt somebody to get some information from him), guilty (a fact that a person does something wrong and says it), complain (to disagree with something and say that it is wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.