Horses Jump over Fire – level 2
There is a winter festival in one Spanish village when horses and riders jump over fires in the streets. People believe it originated in the Middle Ages as a ritual during times of bad illness. The people kept this ritual despite criticism from animal rights groups.
One of the riders says that the horses are very intelligent animals. If a horse jumps through the fire and nothing happens, then it can cross easily many more times. Even if you borrow his horse and you cannot ride, it will go around the whole village and cross the fires without a single problem.
In recent years, more tourists from across Spain have come to see the riders in action. One student from Madrid says that it is so beautiful to see how the horses cross the fires again and again with a lot of energy.
Critics say that the festival is against the national laws on the animal protection and public entertainment, but for the moment, this tradition shows no signs of ending.
Difficult words: originate (start), despite (happening when there is opposition to it), ritual (something traditional that people do over and over again), entertainment (fun).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.