Hotel in Mali is attacked – level 3
This is the moment a hostage is freed from a luxury hotel in Mali. Dozens of people were killed and wounded in an attack on the Radisson Blu Hotel in the capital Bamako. Malian officials say the gunmen do not have any more hostages.
It’s thought some hostages escaped early on and others were freed after showing they could recite verses from the Koran.
Here we see Mali special forces in the lobby of the hotel. At the foot of the stairs, hidden beneath a blanket, is a body.
It appears this is another act of violence carried out by Islamic extremists. There is as yet no established link with the attacks in Paris one week ago that killed 130 people.
François Hollande has promised Mali support and solidarity.
Difficult words: dozens (many), recite (to tell from memory), verses (words from a song, poem, or holy book), foot (the base, the lowest part of something), solidarity (strength).
What do you think about this attack in Bamako?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.