Hotel Under Snow in Italy – level 2
It was a race against time in the worst possible conditions. A rescue team went towards an isolated hotel. The hotel was under snow after four earthquakes started an avalanche in the central Italian region.
People believed that at least 20 guests and seven members of staff were trapped inside the hotel. The road was still blocked by snow and cars were of little use. The team of rescuers had to go to the hotel through the storm on skis. They had only the light from their head torches to help navigate through the terrain.
Once they were at the hotel, they quickly started to search for life. After digging their way inside, they found one lucky guest, shaken, but unharmed, but the situation of many others is still uncertain.
In August last year, a huge earthquake hit the same mountainous region, which left 298 people dead. This latest natural disaster is likely to deliver even more tragedy.
Difficult words: avalanche (a sudden movement of a lot of amount of snow down the hill), torch (a small battery powered thing that produces light), terrain (ground).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.