Hotel Under Snow in Italy – level 3
It was a race against time in the worst possible conditions. A rescue team went toward an isolated hotel left buried under heavy snow after four earthquakes triggered an avalanche in the central Italian region. People believed that at least 20 guests and seven members of staff were trapped inside the hotel while the road was still blocked by snow and vehicles were of little use.
The team of rescuers was forced to go through the blizzard on skis with only the light from their head torches to help navigate through the terrain.
Once they make it to the site, the desperate search for life began. After digging their way inside, one lucky guest emerged, shaken but unharmed, but the fate of many others is still uncertain.
In August last year, a huge earthquake hit the same mountainous region, which left 298 people dead. This latest natural disaster is likely to deliver a fresh tragedy.
Difficult words: region (a big area), trigger (start), torch (a small battery powered thing that produces light).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.