Hurricane Dorian – level 3
Hurricane Dorian reached the Bahamas with its wind speeds reaching nearly 185 mph. The National Hurricane Center warned that water levels may rise by 6 to 7 metres above normal levels.
The National Hurricane Center estimates that a high percentage of houses will be destroyed, their roofs will come off, and their walls will collapse. Fallen trees and power poles can isolate some areas. People can stay without electricity for weeks to possibly months.
Unfortunately, the hurricane is moving very slowly. It is a bad thing. The slower it moves, the bigger it is.
Difficult words: rise (go up), estimate (try to say what will happen), power poles (long pieces of wood which hold electricity wires).
You can watch the original video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos