Hurricane Fiona hits Puerto Rico – level 3
On Sunday, Hurricane Fiona had made landfall at Puerto Rico; the storm caused the entire island to be without power, and it threatened catastrophic flooding.
The hurricane started landslides and mudslides with its winds of over 135 kmph. Authorities closed all ports and canceled all flights out of the main airport.
Puerto Rico’s governor said the country’s power grid remained fragile since 2017’s Hurricane Maria hit the country, which caused the largest blackout in US history. Many people hadn’t prepared for Maria because they thought nothing bad would happen. For Hurricane Fiona, they bought power generators to be ready for the storm.
US President Joe Biden declared a state of emergency to authorize the Federal Emergency Management Agency to coordinate disaster support. Authorities opened shelters, and they urged people to go for cover. As the storm progressed northwest, experts also forecast torrential rains and mudslides for the Dominican Republic.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.