Ice fishing festival – level 2
People held an ice fishing festival in northeast China. Nearly 100,000 people came to the lake to buy fish. Some fish weighed as much as 15 kilograms.
The fish symbolise a prosperous new year in China, and the first that is caught embodies the best luck. It was sold for 370,000 yuan which is about 60,000 US dollars.
The lake covers an area of 500 square kilometres. The festival takes place every year there. People catch the fish traditionally. Fishermen cut into the thick ice and cast their nets into the water.
Difficult words: prosperous (rich and successful), embody (to symbolise), cast (to throw).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this festival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.