Iceberg Breaks – level 1
Scientist works in an Antarctica. They see how the ice changes. Scientists find cracks on an ice shelf. An ice shelf is a big piece of ice which floats in the sea. It connects to land.
The Brunt Ice Shelf starts to break. The cracks get bigger. There are more new cracks. Scientists think that a big piece of ice will break off in Antarctica.
Then it happens on February 26. The piece of ice is 150 meters thick. It has about 1,270 square kilometers.
Antarctica is a very big continent. It is very cold. Winters in Antarctica are long and dark. It is not possible to get to all places. Scientists use modern technologies. They help them study even the farthest and coldest places.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.