Illegal gold mining in Brazil – level 3
The illegal gold mining business is booming in Brazil, with miners hopping on a law that President Jair Bolsonaro has sent to the government. The proposed law would open up indigenous land to commercial mining.
The Amazon is home to protected indigenous communities as well as diverse flora and fauna. However, the land beneath the unspoiled forest contains valuable minerals.
In recent decades, the lust for gold has attracted illegal prospectors who have destroyed forests, poisoned rivers, and brought fatal diseases to tribes. It is very difficult for nature to recover from such damage, even with human help.
Despite all the negative effects, the illegal gold mining business is booming in Brazil, with nearly 30% of the country´s gold in 2019 and 2020 likely coming from illegal mines. Nearly two thirds of Brazil´s gold went to Canada, Switzerland, and the UK.
Difficult words: booming (doing very well), flora and fauna (plants and animals), lust (a strong desire), prospector (a person or company whose job is searching for valuable things under the earth´s surface).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.