Immigrant boy is killed – level 3
A 32-year old man’s been arrested in Berlin on suspicion of abducting a 4-year-old migrant boy after the body of a child was found in the boot of his car. Mohamed Januzi disappeared on the 1st October while waiting outside the offices of the government program for social care with his mother and two siblings.
On Tuesday, police released video footage showing the alleged abductor walking hand-in-hand with Mohamed away from the offices.
A police spokesman told a news conference that they’d received a tip-off from the suspect’s mother on Thursday, after he told her he was involved in Mohamed’s abduction. When the suspect turned up at his mother’s house, he was arrested, and officers say he immediately declared that the body of the child was in his vehicle.
Police are still waiting for the results of an autopsy to confirm the child’s identity as well as clarify the circumstances around his death, including when he may have died. Investigators also said there were no indications that the suspect, who’s from the East German state of Brandenburg, had links to the right-wing scene or had any contact with xenophobic circles.
Difficult words: abduct (to kidnap; to take away illegally), boot (the back of the car for luggage), alleged (said, without proof), declare (to say), autopsy (an examination of a body), circumstances (the details), xenophobic (having or showing an intense dislike or fear of people from other countries).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.