Immigrant Saves Boy – level 3
People have hailed Mamoudou Gassama as a hero and French real-life Spider-man after he risked his own life to climb a block of flats to rescue a boy in Paris.
The four-year-old child was dangling on a balcony on a fourth floor and would have certainly fallen down and died if he had not been saved. Mamoudou was the only person who took action to save the boy.
At the time of the selfless act, Mr Gassama was an illegal immigrant from Mali, a country in West Africa. President Macron later recognised his heroism and honoured him for his courage and devotion, offering him French citizenship and a job in the fire brigade.
Later people reported that the boy’s father left the child in the flat to go shopping and stayed out longer because he was playing Pokemon Go. He now faces charges of child neglect.
Difficult words: hail (call something good), dangle (hang loosely), courage (not being afraid, bravery), devotion (care), neglect (failing to care for).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos