Incident during a ceremony – level 2
Ayahuasca is an indigenous drug from Peru which gives the users psychedelic experiences. The use of the drug is popular, and people come to countries like Peru to take part in ayahuasca ceremonies.
Nothing bad usually happens during an ayahuasca ceremony, but an incident happened during one recently. People who were at the ceremony said that a British man tried to attack a Canadian man with a knife. The Canadian man defended himself and killed the British man with the knife.
Both men were in their twenties. Police arrested the Canadian.
Difficult words: indigenous (native, local, traditional), psychedelic (mind-changing), defend (to fight back, to protect yourself).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think happened at the ceremony?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.