Incident in Spain – level 2
Francisco Franco ruled Spain as a dictator from 1939 to 1975. He came to power after he won the Spanish Civil War, and people buried him at a monument dedicated to 30,000 people who died during this war.
Spanish artist Enrique Tenreiro drew a red dove and the slogan ‘For Freedom’ on Franco’s tombstone last Wednesday. Tenreiro is a sculptor and video artist known for provocative acts – once he rode in a glass elevator sitting on a bidet. As guards led him away from the tomb, he shouted, ‘For freedom and the reconciliation of all Spaniards’.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.