India and China Fight – level 2
On Monday, Indian and Chinese soldiers fought on a border road near India’s Galwan Valley. The road is a part of a 2,100-mile area that both countries want to control.
In 1962, there was a war in this area, and India and China agreed to stop fighting. However, the problems never stopped, and both countries said that they wanted to get control of the area.
Two years ago, Indian and Chinese officials agreed to keep peace on the border. The problem is that both countries have nuclear weapons, and many people worry that a big conflict could start. Officials said that the counties did not want to start a war; however, Monday’s fight could make the relationship between India and China more difficult. It was the biggest fight in the last 40 years.
Difficult words: keep peace (when there is no war and people are happy), nuclear weapon (a bomb that kills many people), relationship (how two or more people or groups behave towards each other).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.