India bridge collapse – level 2
A pedestrian bridge collapsed in India’s state of Gujarat. The bridge had reopened only a week earlier.
Officials said that too many people were on the bridge when it collapsed. They were celebrating the Diwali festival. The bridge collapsed in the river, 141 people died, and many went missing. The incident happened at night, so it was difficult to search for them. Rescuers continued the next morning, and divers searched the dark waters of the river.
The bridge was 230 meters high, and it was very popular with tourists. Local people called it a swinging bridge. Workers built it in the 19th century when India was still under the rule of Great Britain.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.