India opens Hindu temple – level 1
Narendra Modi is the leader of India’s government. He opens a new Hindu temple in Ayodhya.
The temple is on the site of a mosque. But people destroy the mosque 30 years ago. Many see opening the temple as an important moment. But others say that it is only about politics. There will be elections in India. The temple will be ready next year.
Fights over Ayodhya start a hundred years ago. They become very serious in 1992. It is the last year of the mosque. In 2019, the top court says that destroying the mosque is against the law. But Hindus get the land.
Some people are happy that there is a temple now. For others, it brings back bad things from the past.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some possible implications of the opening of the new Hindu temple in Ayodhya for the upcoming elections in India?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.