India’s luxury fashion industry – level 2
In the luxury fashion industry, India has an important part in the production.
Even though luxury fashion brands emphasize quality and European skills, they often rely on India for embroidery work and other skills. Companies didn’t speak about this because people worried about working conditions in India’s factories.
For example, a jacket which costs 43,000 Euros had over 2,000 hours of embroidery work done in India but it only received less than 100 hours of finishing touches in Europe. But there was the ‘Made in France’ label on it.
Some luxury brands are starting to speak about India’s skills more. But the problem with working conditions in factories is still here.
Difficult words: emphasize (to make something sound or seem more important than other things), embroidery (creating designs on fabric), finishing touch (a final detail or action which completes a piece of work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How can luxury fashion brands ensure better working conditions in India's factories?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.