Indonesia stadium tragedy – level 1
In Indonesia, a disaster happens at a soccer stadium. 125 people die. 180 people are hurt. On Saturday, the home team loses the match. Angry fans run into the field. Security officers use tear gas to stop the fans.
To escape, many people run towards the exits. Too many people are there. They cannot get out or breathe. They suffocate.
Officials say that there are 42,000 people at the match. Sadly, only 38,000 people can fit inside the stadium.
Now, officials stop all matches. They must find out what happens. The International Football Association FIFA also must know. FIFA says that security officers mustn’t use weapons or tear gas.
Difficult words: tear gas (a gas which makes the eyes hurt), exit (a door or gate to leave a place), suffocate (death from not enough air).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos