Internet in Ethiopia – level 1
This news is about the Internet in Ethiopia. There are protests in some areas in Ethiopia in 2018. The Internet is off in these areas.
Last week, the Internet is off again. It is down for a week. People do not know why. Some people think that it is because of students. They think that no Internet can stop students from cheating.
The country’s Internet provider says that it is going to give money to people. The country loses money in the outage, too. People say that Ethiopia loses around $17 million.
Difficult words: cheat (do not do what you are supposed to do; for example, do not study but look at someone else’s exam to do well on an exam), provider (a company/business which sells or provides the Internet), outage (a time when there is no Internet).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos