Iran and US Prisoners – level 1
In August 2016, Iranian authorities arrest a US student. Iran says that he is a spy. They put him in prison for 10 years. After three years in prison, Iran frees the student on Saturday.
Iran swaps him for an Iranian scientist who is in prison in the US. The trade happens in Switzerland. Switzerland helps both countries with the trade.
The US President says that he is happy about the swap. He thanks Switzerland for its help. He also hopes that other US people who are in prisons in other countries can go back to the US.
Difficult words: spy (a person who works for a government and wants to get some information that other people do not know), free (to let a person out of a prison), trade (to give a thing or a person to get another thing or person), swap (to trade).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.