Iran Nuclear Deal – level 2
The USA, UK, France, Germany, China and Russia made a deal with Iran in 2015. For Iran, the deal meant that they could not enrich uranium.
When you enrich uranium, you can make a nuclear weapon from it. For the USA and EU, the deal meant that they could not put sanctions on Iran.
Last year, Trump started pulling out from the deal. He put sanctions on Iran which was difficult for the Iranian economy. When the USA was ignoring the deal, Iran started to ignore it, too. They started enriching uranium.
Iran had now has so much enriched uranium that they can make a weapon from it. They say that they do not want to do this, but they are asking European countries to save the deal. Unlike Iran or the USA, Europe is still respecting the deal.
Difficult words: enrich (make more powerful), uranium (a radioactive material which can be used to make electricity or bombs – but it must be enriched first), sanction (a block, doing something which is economically bad to another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos