Iran’s Nuclear Program – level 3
Iran seized a South Korean-flagged oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, and the country also announced that it would increase its nuclear activities. In the final days of Donald Trump’s US presidency, tensions in the region are building up.
Iran is revealing details of its plans to produce a stockpile of enriched uranium for its nuclear program; however, the uranium will be used for peaceful purposes. The country restarted production a few days ago in a pushback against the US sanctions. It is the latest breaking of Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
Regional opponents led by Israel say that Iran wants to build nuclear weapons. Iran is enriching uranium to 20% and such a level of purification can be used for medical and energy purposes, as well as weapons. However, even if Iran gains a stockpile of 20% enriched uranium, it would still be a way from getting all the components that are required for a weapon.
Difficult words: stockpile (a supply that is stored for future use), enriched uranium (a type of uranium that has a higher concentration of isotopes than which exists in natural uranium ore), pushback (a negative reaction or response).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos