Iraq Stops Islamic State – level 1
Iraq’s military celebrates victory over Islamic State. The Iraqi prime minister says that Iraq now controls the border with Syria.
In northwest Iraq, villagers go back to their destroyed village. The mayor says that Islamic States destroys the homes. He also says that the Kurdish army destroys the homes. Hundreds of homes are gone.
One man says that the Kurdish army would not let people come back. He says that the army wants to change the people who live there. However, the Iraqi army stops this.
Difficult words: military (army, soldiers), victory (winning), border (the line between countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos