Ireland passes same-sex marriage – level 2
In Ireland, politicians campaigned to make same-sex marriage legal. It appeared that only some people would vote for the change, but the country passed the new law with most people voting for it.
One man at a voting area said that he was proud to be Irish and that today his people showed what they believe in. He said that people told many stories about this event already.
Ireland is the first country in the world to pass same-sex marriage by popular vote, which means that most of its people supported the law.
Difficult words: campaign (to try to change something through politics), appear (to seem), popular vote (when a lot of people vote for something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that it is interesting that Ireland passed this law?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.