Islamic State oil goes to Turkey – level 3
Earlier this month, the Russian military released this footage which purports to show the bombing of Islamic State oil infrastructures. And now, President Vladimir Putin claims truckloads of oil controlled by the terrorist group, which calls itself Islamic State, are traveling to Turkey.
In a press conference held with the French president Francois Hollande, the Russian president urged Turkey to investigate the situation. Mr Putin said the amount of oil being transported out from the Syrian border is on an industrial scale, and that they are sent from regions controlled by the terrorist group rather than from other places.
He added that Russian jets have witnessed these from the sky, and that the fuel tankers have been entering Turkey day and night. The Russian president said that corruption must have been involved in such a large-scale import oil and oil products, and for that reason he urged Turkey to conduct a thorough investigation into the case.
Difficult words: purport (to appear), infrastructure (the buildings and services that a place needs so that it can exist), claim (to say), truckloads of (a lot of), urge (to recommend something strongly), industrial scale (a very large amount), conduct (to carry out), thorough (careful).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.