Island for Refugees – level 1
Millions of people run away from Myanmar since 2017. The situation in Myanmar is very bad and dangerous. People do not want to stay there. They flee to Bangladesh.
They are refugees. Refugees stay in refugee camps. The camps are full now. The Bangladeshi government must solve the problem.
The government builds homes for refugees on an island. The island is 40 kilometers away from Bangladesh. Nobody lives on the island. The government plans to move 100,000 refugees there. The government also plans to build three schools and a hospital. Some people say that it is not enough for so many refugees.
Another problem is the weather. A big part of the island goes under water during the rain season. The rain season is the time of year when it rains a lot.
Difficult words: flee (to run away from a place or dangerous situation), refugee (a person who leaves a country because it is dangerous to stay there), refugee camp (a place where people stay when they leave their country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos