Island for Refugees – level 3
Hundreds of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh are being relocated to an island about 40 kilometers off the coast of Bangladesh to a controversial island facility in the Bay of Bengal.
The Rohingya are a Muslim minority group that fled from Myanmar after a military-led action in 2017.
The Bangladeshi government spent years constructing 120 shelters on the island that could accommodate up to 100,000 people who are currently living in refugee camps near the Myanmar border. Overcrowded camps are home to about 1 million Rohingya refugees.
However, human right groups and the refugees themselves expressed concerns over the safety of the uninhabited island. It is a low-lying island and it often becomes partially submerged during monsoon season. According to human rights groups, there is a lack of adequate medical care and education.
Bangladesh has started moving Rohingya families to the island; however, human rights officials complain that they were being forced without their consent.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.