Israel on the Moon – level 3
Israel launched a small probe to the moon on a Falcon 9 SpaceX rocket.
An engineer from the Israel Aerospace Industries said that it was going to be a difficult and long journey. There are quicker ways to get to the moon, but you need a powerful rocket for that (which Israel does not have).
It will take the probe about 1,5 months to get to the moon. The lander weighs just 585 kilograms, and it will take advantage of gravitational forces to enter the moon’s orbit.
The team received a message of good luck from space veteran Buzz Aldrin, a man who walked on the moon.
The ’Beresheet’ robotic craft, named after the Hebrew word for Genesis, is expected to land on the moon on 11 April. The mission hopes to inspire students into STEM subjects.
Difficult words: probe (a small thing which goes to space without any people inside), orbit (the area around the moon), STEM (a category of subjects at school – science, technology, engineering and mathematics).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos