Israel politics changes – level 2
Israeli lawmakers started discussing a bill on Sunday to limit the powers of the Supreme Court, initiated by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s religious-nationalist coalition.
Protests against the government caused Netanyahu to stop the plan in March and hold talks with opposition parties. But those talks were unsuccessful and Netanyahu ordered the revival of some of the laws. The new bill will be a less extreme version of the previous proposals which wanted to greatly reduce the Supreme Court’s power to rule against the government.
The opposition says that the new bill still allows for corruption. Some politicians asked Netanyahu to stop the bill and start talks with the opposition.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other options are available to limit the power of the Supreme Court without causing an uproar among the opposition?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.