Israeli yacht saves migrants – level 3
This is the moment an Israeli yacht saved migrants from drowning near the Greek island of Kastellorizo.
“We have just now discovered a man in the sea. In a moment, Amir will return to film him. He’s shouting. We are approaching him to save him.”
Eleven Syrian and Iraqi migrants were rescued after the crew spotted them in the water.
“What is your name?”
“Ibrahim? You are come from Syria? OK. Where is your brother?”
Among those recovered from the sea was a mother carrying the body of her dead six-month-old baby in her arms.
The yacht, belonging to an Israeli civilian navigation school, was on a routine training activity in the area, near the Turkish coast.
The survivors said that three of their group were missing – a pregnant woman and two men.
Their bodies were later found in the water by Greek authorities.
The Israeli yacht brought the migrants to shore where Greek authorities detained one of them – accused by the others of being the trafficker. The rest were allowed to enter the island.
Difficult words: drown (to die from being under water for too long), spot (see), civilian (not military), detain (to hold in case you need to arrest), trafficker (somebody who illegally moves people from one country to another for money).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.